Tuesday, 15 April 2014

The Writer

I'm missing you,
one of a million things to do,
the order of I'm ticking off the way I please and chose.

My time is, consumed.

I've lost the words,
they spun on heel and chose to walk,
they found a better vacant place where there was time to talk.

They'll be back.

For nobody, I think,
could quite do this,
without accepting they'd lose their grip -

On routine things, for a little bit.

And while you gaze amiss,
while dust and hours lay to rest,
every day I pinch myself that I have managed this.

To draw,
to paint what someone else has saw,
in vivid minds-eye storybook and dreams held high aloft.

To grasp and climb a ladder sky of water, ink and words.

That's magic, is it not?

I'm missing you.
I wouldn't swap.
I know that you'll come soon enough.

You are not gone, I am not lost and I have not forgot.

Prose for Thought

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, stunning words Helen. Such a tribute to what you are achieving away from your blog. You are doing such amazing work and I know, as I am sure every one else does, that your words will never be lost and you will be back with your wonderful poetry. Lots of love, I am so pleased you are living your dream x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful as ever, and I for one think it's brilliant you are so busy with your illustration projects... what an adventure you're having this year! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Helen. your poetry is amazing but I am so glad you are out living your dreams and doing your illustration projects. Doing what we love is one of life's greatest gifts not many get the chance glad you have! #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words here! The ladder is my favourite part - just beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are pursuing your dreams outside of writing! And of course you have such a way with words that they will certainly be back. The line about the ladder is so powerful I want to climb it with you. magic for sure! #prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful - I love reading your posts and this is one of my favourites x #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popped back to say thank you for linking to Prose for Thought x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wow. I love those last lines:

    "I'm missing you.
    I wouldn't swap.
    I know that you'll come soon enough.

    You are not gone, I am not lost and I have not forgot."

    Sometimes the sweet pain of missing someone you love is as beloved as the sweet joy of being reunited with them again isn't it?

    Magical words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x