Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Late Seas


Your pitch changes,
come this time of year,
rise and wail and chasing tail and whistle up the beach.

Overhead and screech,
shades of grey and driven rain and new found height and reach.

Of gulls -
soar and tip and skew the world,
dive and call and heady fall in sudden, sodden roar.

To chill,
collar, teeth and hair to whip,
cut in half and sand storm wrath and woollen hood and mitt.

How I love the depth and tone and language of your script.

Of late -
sea and salt and darker days,
wild ocean, wild horses, wild wicked spray.

Roar and call of bitter seas,
tear and screech and race the beach,
winter wind and tide flung in to shingle, shore and me.

This poem features in my little book - A Familiar Voice - which is available on special offer until Christmas. 


Prose for Thought

7 comments:

  1. So, so evocative. You have had some pretty heavy seas up your way this year haven't you. And I think that is an understatement given the storm the other week. When the sea blows wild, it can seem quite terrifying and exhilarating all in one. I love your poetry. Have a wonderful Christmas. X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good poem for this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this and it felt familiar and it's because it is in your beautiful book. I love the wildness you have captured - just brilliant. Have a lovely Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have to read your poems out loud which is a sure sign of a great poem! I could almost taste the salt and feel the wind whip my face as I read this. Very evocative

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore this! Felt like I was there. I do miss that kind of 'big' weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really sums up the power of the sea at this time of year. A beautiful poem. Thank you for linking to Prose for Thought this year and for being my BritMums co-editor. It's been quite a year! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x