Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Star Of The Sea


You gave her to the sea - when she didn't stay,
gave your daughter life and depth,
said goodbye in late sea tide of water, salt and swell.

Gave her space,
watched her grow in wind and wave,
gave her height in cloud and sky and gave her weight in rain.

Gave her light,
summer sun and starry night,
cries of gulls and rainbow curves of loss and love and life.

Empty beach and wild dune,
heart and soul and gone for good,
all the love in all the world and always now with you.

You gave her to the sea - when she didn't stay,
raged at sky and cursed the earth,
faced the wind then died within to face the world again.

But face it she did, and tonight my friend Jennie Edspire was named Britain's Bravest Mum by the Mother and Baby Awards xx

This poem is part of my anthology A Familiar Voice.

Prose for Thought

19 comments:

  1. So very moving Helen. Beautiful words to mark such a very very sad moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poems like this are what make me want to write. Because words can be this powerful, this beautiful and this moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie I love your writing so much it really means a lot when you say such lovely things about mine x

      Delete
  3. Oh what a beautiful and moving poem. It made me cry even before I realised who it was for. Immensely powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Helen, I love this poem and read it everyday since my birthday when your beautiful book arrived x Thank you so so so so so much x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Jennie. Although you deserve your award very much I wish you had no reason in the world to be accepting it. The events of this year will stay with me as long as I live xx

      Delete
  5. This is what I love about your poems Helen (and poetry on general) - the emotions are so true and powerful they break our hearts over and over again. Very moving and wonderful tribute xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It breaks my heart yet - it didn't happen to me but I don't feel like I will ever leave it behind xx

      Delete
  6. Ah the sea. So powerful. So reassuring.
    Water - essential and yet so destructive too.
    Wonderful poem. Made me think of my late Dad and Mum.
    And a fitting tribute to a very brave Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, so sorry you've lost both your parents and I'm glad that my poem brought them to mind today x

      Delete
  7. Just tears, everywhere. Bravo again. All love to Jennie. If only Tilda could be here. Such pride for her amazing parents. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a lovely comment xx

      Delete
  8. Absolutely beautiful - what a stunning tribute #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this in your book, such power x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, and don't know if it's just me, but I also find it sad (though I know I probably shouldn't....may be that's because it speaks to my ambiguity around independence and letting go!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolutely stunning poem. I am sure she loved every word. Thank you for linking to Prose for Thought x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting - it really does make my day x